Pilbara Railways Image Collection

The entire photo collection of images scanned from negatives and slides and digital images.


Home Login
Album list Last uploads Last comments Most viewed Top rated My Favourites Search
Last additions
091002_2608r.jpg
091002 2608r27 viewsPort Hedland, at the 11.8 km on the big curve lead controlling remote BHP Billiton locomotive 4354 from the fifth order for nine SD70ACe model EMD units from Electro-Motive and built in London, Ontario in 2009 with serial 20088019-008 controls two older EMD units in an ex-UP SD40-2 3081 and ex-SP SD40R 3091. 4354 would later be named ANZAC and also trial handrail modifications, 2nd October 2009.Oct 10, 2020
091002_2602r.jpg
091002 2602r34 viewsPort Hedland, at the 11.8 km on the big curve trailing BHP Billiton locomotive 4311 Poonda from the original order for thirteen SD70ACe/LC model EMD units from Electro-Motive and built in London, Ontario in August 2005 with serial 20038540-012 assists in powering an empty 330 waggon train south to the mines, these units were delivered with the round middle rail on the handrail and a standard cab which resulted in all subsequent orders having the isolated or Whisper cab fitted. 4311 and its twelve stablemates were traded back to Progress Rail and sent to the USA in January 2015. 2nd October 2009.Oct 10, 2020
091001_2490r.jpg
091001 2490r69 viewsGoldsworthy Junction on the Avoidance Road is BHP Billiton Electro-Motive built EMD model SD70ACe/LC locomotive 4339 with serial 20078915-006 from the fourth order of thirteen units as it leads an empty rake towards Bing with the second unit being an as yet unmodified SD70ACe Pumpkin locomotive 4329. 4339 was later on named Finucane and 4329 named Pilbara. 1st October 2009.Oct 10, 2020
090814_2068r.jpg
090814 2068r42 viewsWoodstock, BHP Billiton SD70ACe locomotive 4327 was built by Electro-Motive as an EMD model SD70ACe for the BNSF railroad in the USA with serial 20066862-056 but was sold to BHP while under construction as one of ten similar units to be diverted to BHP in an all over BNSF base orange earning them the nickname of 'pumpkins' after the BNSF livery. They were standard US domestic units and required substantial modifications to be afforded lead unit status for BHP. Here we some a couple of the modifications like the snow plough and the middle handrail and the windscreen protector is just visible. 14th August 2009.Oct 04, 2020
090814_2059r.jpg
090814 2059r32 viewsWoodstock, having only been delivered the month before new BHP Billiton 4348 an Electro-Motive built EMD SD70ACe model locomotive with serial 20088019-002, from the fifth order for nine units, is under commissioning as a remote unit on a 330 waggon train. The unit has since been named 'Hematite'. 14th August 2009.Oct 04, 2020
041014_142804.jpg
041014 14280419 viewsPilbara Railways Historical Society, Goldsworthy Mining Ltd B class unit 1, an English Electric built ST95B model, originally built in 1965 serial A-104, due to accident damage rebuilt on new frame with serial A-232 in 1970. These units of Bo-Bo design with a 6CSRKT 640 kW prime mover and built at the Rocklea Qld plant. Donated to Society in 1995. 14th October 2004.Sep 27, 2020
041014_142738.jpg
041014 14273817 viewsPilbara Railways Historical Society museum, 5450 a USA built EMD model F7A serial 8970 and frame 3006-A9, built Jan-1950 for Western Pacific Railroad as 917-A, imported for the Mt Newman Mining Co. to construct their Port Hedland to Newman railway in December 1967. Donated to the Society in 1978. 14th October 2004.Sep 27, 2020
041014_142704.jpg
041014 14270415 viewsPilbara Railways Historical Society, former ALCo built demonstrator locomotive model C-415 serial 3449-1 built April 1966, currently carrying number 1000, it was originally numbered 008 when Hamersley Iron purchased the unit in 1968. It was retired from service on the 24th February 1982. It then spent some time carrying number 2000 while building the Marandoo railway line from Sept 1991. 14th October 2004.Sep 27, 2020
041014_142636.jpg
041014 14263620 viewsPilbara Railways Historical Society museum, Australian built by Comeng NSW an MLW ALCo M636 unit formerly owned by Mt Newman Mining and BHP Iron Ore 5502 serial number C6096-7 built in July 1976, retired in 1994, donated to the Society in November 1995. 14th October 2004.Sep 27, 2020
041014_142610.jpg
041014 14261018 viewsPilbara Railways Historical Society, former ALCo built demonstrator locomotive model C-415 serial 3449-1 built April 1966, currently carrying number 1000, it was originally numbered 008 when Hamersley Iron purchased the unit in 1968. It was retired from service on the 24th February 1982. It then spent some time carrying number 2000 while building the Marandoo railway line from Sept 1991. 14th October 2004.Sep 27, 2020
041014_142544.jpg
041014 14254418 viewsPilbara Railways Historical Society museum, former Cliffs Robe River Iron Associates RSD-3 model ALCo locomotive built by Montreal Locomotive Works (MLW) in 1951 for NSWGR as the 40 class 4002 serial 77733, purchased by CRRIA in 1971 and numbered 261.002, then 1705 and finally 9405. 4002 is preserved in an operational state and another claim to fame is it run the Royal Train in NSW February 1954. Donated to the Society in 1979. 14th October 2004.Sep 27, 2020
041014_142558.jpg
041014 14255819 viewsPilbara Railways Historical Society, view along the passenger carriages, closest is the 'Conference Car' with SV 4 still visible, originally built by Clyde Engineering at Granville NSW in 1935 for the NSWGR as a second class railway carriage FS type FS 2010. In 1975 it was purchased by Hamersley Iron and converted to an inspection vehicle SV 4. When donated to the Society it was repurposed as a conference car. 14th October 2004.Sep 27, 2020
041014_142508.jpg
041014 14250810 viewsPilbara Railways Historical Society museum, former Cliffs Robe River Iron Associates RSD-3 model ALCo locomotive built by Montreal Locomotive Works (MLW) in 1951 for NSWGR as the 40 class 4002 serial 77733, purchased by CRRIA in 1971 and numbered 261.002, then 1705 and finally 9405. 4002 is preserved in an operational state and another claim to fame is it run the Royal Train in NSW February 1954. Donated to the Society in 1979. 14th October 2004.Sep 27, 2020
041014_142502.jpg
041014 14250222 viewsPilbara Railways Historical Society museum, former Cliffs Robe River Iron Associates RSD-3 model ALCo locomotive built by Montreal Locomotive Works (MLW) in 1951 for NSWGR as the 40 class 4002 serial 77733, purchased by CRRIA in 1971 and numbered 261.002, then 1705 and finally 9405. 4002 is preserved in an operational state and another claim to fame is it run the Royal Train in NSW February 1954. Donated to the Society in 1979. 14th October 2004.Sep 27, 2020
041014_142329.jpg
041014 14232914 viewsPilbara Railways Historical Society, view along the passenger carriages behind rebuilt ALCo C636R locomotive 3017 with the first passenger carriage 'Bellany' was originally built by Clyde Engineering at Granville NSW in 1936 for the NSWGR as a second class railway carriage FS type FS 2143. In 1987 it was purchased by the Society and is named after a local river. The next carriage is van 'Portland' and originally an NSWGR MHO type guards van MHO 2321, then recoded to KB type mail van, then to KBY 2513 guards van. 14th October 2004.Sep 27, 2020
041014_142318.jpg
041014 14231820 viewsPilbara Railways Historical Society, view along the passenger carriages behind rebuilt ALCo C636R locomotive 3017 with the first passenger carriage 'Bellany' was originally built by Clyde Engineering at Granville NSW in 1936 for the NSWGR as a second class railway carriage FS type FS 2143. In 1987 it was purchased by the Society and is named after a local river. The next carriage is van 'Portland' and originally an NSWGR MHO type guards van MHO 2321, then recoded to KB type mail van, then to KBY 2513 guards van. 14th October 2004.Sep 27, 2020
041014_142225.jpg
041014 14222515 viewsPilbara Railways Historical Society, Comeng WA ALCo rebuild C636R locomotive 3017 serial WA-135-C-6043-04. The improved Pilbara cab was fitted as part of the rebuild in April 1985. Donated to Society in 1996. 14th October 2004.Sep 27, 2020
041014_142239.jpg
041014 14223917 viewsPilbara Railways Historical Society, Comeng WA ALCo rebuild C636R locomotive 3017 serial WA-135-C-6043-04. The improved Pilbara cab was fitted as part of the rebuild in April 1985. Donated to Society in 1996. 14th October 2004.Sep 27, 2020
041014_142128.jpg
041014 14212819 viewsPilbara Railways Historical Society, Comeng WA ALCo rebuild C636R locomotive 3017 serial WA-135-C-6043-04. The improved Pilbara cab was fitted as part of the rebuild in April 1985. Donated to Society in 1996. 14th October 2004.Sep 27, 2020
041014_142144.jpg
041014 14214414 viewsPilbara Railways Historical Society, Comeng WA ALCo rebuild C636R locomotive 3017 serial WA-135-C-6043-04. The improved Pilbara cab was fitted as part of the rebuild in April 1985. Donated to Society in 1996. 14th October 2004.Sep 27, 2020
14130 files on 707 page(s) 9

Set Back to Pilbara Yard / Photo Gallery / Blog / Departure Yard / BHP Road / Fortescue Metals Road / Rio Tinto Road / Roy Hill Road / Comalco Siding
Website and all images are © 1997-2021 www.pilbararailways.com.au Contact Us
Valid XHTML 1.0 Transitional