Fortescue Metals Group (FMG) operates a diverse roster of motive power on its' heavy haul railway consisting of:
- 15 General Electric
C44-9W or Dash 9 locomotives, 001-015;
- 4 Electro Motive Division
SD90MAC-H locomotives, 901-904;
- 5 Electro Motive Division
SD9043MAC locomotives, 905-909;
- 21 Electro Motive Diesel
SD70ACe/LCi locomotives, 701-721;
- 8 Electro Motive Division
SD90MAC-H2 locomotives, 910-917 - all stored 12/2015;
- 4600 ore waggons operating in married pairs
2001 up Control Cars, 1000 uo Slave Cars, built in China by CSR at Zhuzhou Rolling Stock Works in 2007;
- 35 ballast waggons 100t capacity,
BH 01-35, built in China by CSR at the Yangtze Rolling Stock Company in 2008;
- 30 tank waggons 95,000 litres capacity,
- 19 flat waggons, capacity 56t for Rail Train,
- 10 side dump ballast waggons, 82.4t capacity,
SDC 01-10 built in Ohio USA by JK-CO in 2012;
- 2 ballast plough waggons,
BP 01-02 built in 2010 by CSR at Yangtze Rolling Stock Company.
The GE C44-9W or Dash 9 locomotives are rated at 3270 kilowatts or 4400 horsepower and are similar to Hamersley Iron / Pilbara Rail-Iron locomotives except for bogies,
underframe and fuel tanks all being painted black. Build date for the fifteen units is August 2007, serial numbers being: 58178 (001) to 58192 (015).
Loco 015 is named Peter Tapine.
The four Electro Motive Division SD90MAC-H locomotives (901-904) were originally Union Pacific owned 6000 horsepower units with the 265-H prime mover which were rebuilt and repainted for
FMG by Juniata Shops and Mid America Car. All were delivered to Australia with the 265-H engine, following entry into service FMG has repowered them with the 16-710G3 engine for 4300 horsepower.
The five Electro Motive Division SD9043MAC locomotives (905-909) are rated at 4300 horsepower, again all were former Union Pacific SD90MAC-H units but rebuilt with the 16-710G3 motor and
keeping their original alternator and traction motors by Juniata Shops prior to export to Australia.
Twenty one Electro Motive Diesels SD70ACe/LCi locomotives (701-721), the LCi being Low Clearance international, were built in three orders across 2011 and 2012 with delivery in 2012 and 2013,
they are very similar in appearance to the BHP Billiton units and fitted with the 16-710G3 motor rated at 4300 horsepower. 701-721.
Locomotive 701 wears a red and blue decal and is
named T155 after the Team 155 Million Tonne expansion.
And eight Electro Motive Division SD90MAC-H2, or Phase II locomotives (910-917) were again all former Union Pacific 265-H engine 6000 horsepower units which were rebuilt by
EMD/Progress Rail's Kentucky shops in Sept. 2014 and exported with the H series engine to be replaced by FMG in Australia. The units arrived in December 2014, and all have since been stored in 2015.
A downloadable Motive Power Roster with all details and full serial numbers etc. is available here.
Operation of the heavy haul railway from the car dumpers located immediately south of the Herb Elliot Port at Anderson Point, Port Hedland inland to the junction location of Nunna where the
Solomon line branches off to the west from the Cloud Break mainline the which continues south east to the area known as the Chichester Hub which serves both the Cloud Break and Christmas Creek Mines.
The mainlines consists of a number of passing sidings or loops and duplicated mainline sections, and totals more than 620km of 68kg/m rail fixed to concrete sleepers to support a 40 tonne
axle load of standard gauge configuration.
Mainline switches or points are of the 1 in 20 swing nose frog type with both motorised blades and frogs.
Since the original line was built the whole operation has undergone some renaming and major configuration changes.
A new locomotive service centre and fuel waggon loading gantry has been built just south of the Great Northern Highway overpass bridge and called Kanyirri Yard and is located between
Thomas Yard and the car dumpers with fuel delivery by road train from Port Hedland.
Thomas Yard, named after the railway extension project manager, from Rowley Yard so named after the original managing director Graeme Rowley, this yard complex is spread over several
kilometres of line and includes the locomotive and ore car workshops, the extended marshalling yard, wheel lathe shop, rail flashbutt welding yard and other storage roads and support services compounds.
The railway line has now been duplicated in several places and the new duplicated mainline track now runs from the triple balloon loops for the three car dumpers, which consists of
the original dumper and then two newer dumpers in a single building within the original balloon loop heading south past the Kanyirri service yard and then the Thomas marshalling and maintenance yards to the 30km location of East Turner where it reverts back to single track to cross the East Turner River.
From there it passes the original Barker Siding which is a single ended ballast loading site running north off the eastern side of the mainline at the 43km and includes a dump point to
empty side dump waggons. The ballast was trucked here from the nearby BGC Contracting owned Elazac Quarry.
The first crossing location was originally Chapman Siding (crossing loop) located between the 68 and 72km, and this has been replaced with a much longer duplicated section of mainline
running south from the newer location of Canning at the 54km to the south end of the original Chapman Siding at the 72km reverting back to a single mainline to cross a number of creeks and rivers.
Duplicated mainline then starts again at the 94km, the enlarged location of Durack, an original single ended refuge siding at the 98km.
This duplicated mainline now runs past the new location of Kanga with double crossovers located at about the 105km to allow east to west and west to east mainline changeovers and extends
past the original Forrest Siding 130-133km (crossing loop) to the 133km where once again the mainline becomes a single track to traverse the flyover at the BHP Billiton mainline location of Woodstock.
After the flyover there is a single ended maintenance siding running south near the 145km, and then former single ended maintenance siding of Gibb has been converted to a crossing loop of
about four kilometres in length running from the south side of the Yule River to the 157km.
Again at the 164km location of Coonaire mainline duplication starts and run to the junction station of Nunna at the 174.5km and also the junction for the Solomon line which curves away to
the west and crosses the BHP Billiton mainline at the location of Spring.
From Nunna, location 174.5km, the mainline is now two single track branches, one south to Hunter Siding and onto the Chichester Hub of the Cloud Break (approx. 35km) and Christmas Creek
mines (another 50km), and west to Solomon Hub via Avon Siding (191-195km) with a maintenance spur on the east end, crossing the Great Northern Hwy at the 198km, then through Bow Siding (234km)
and Capel Siding (259-263km) with a maintenance spur running west just beyond the 263km then onto Firetail loadout balloon (approx. 130km from Nunna).
The extension south from Cloud Break to Christmas Creek is 50km and was completed in December 2010, while the new line west to the Solomon Hub and Firetail loadout is approx. 130km long
and was completed in December 2012.
Train Control is located in Perth, and FMG was the first Pilbara operator to have their train control operations located remotely from the Pilbara.
Radio system currently in use is a Tetra based system
Train consists originally back in January 2009 were 200 to 204 cars, with a test rake that was 230 cars, all operating with two locomotives on the point. This has subsequently been
increased up to 240 cars. For a number of years three locomotives were utilised on the point of the ore trains but this seems to have returned back to only two.
Banking of loaded trains is carried out using a pair of locomotives and assisting trains in the rear from Cloud Break to Hunter Siding on the Chichester line and from Firetail to east of
Bow Siding on the Solomon line.
Waggons are loaded to the axle loading of 40 tonnes, 160 tonnes gross.
Some sightings in Jan 2009, include:
- Wednesday 21st Jan, 2009 locos 010 and 015 with the 230 car test rake
- Locos 009 and 007 with a loaded 200 car train
- Loco 003 port shunter
- Locos 013-006 with 204 empty car train
Historical and Construction information:
A radio based train order system was originally the method of safe working over a UHF radio network utilising Proceed Authority's or PA's for short.
Track access for gangs and other work groups is done with a TAA or Track Access Authority. FMG, like the rest of the Pilbara operators use single man crews.
Tracklaying was undertaken with work trains using rebuilt ex Robe River and Hamersley Iron Alco locomotives. GTSA rebuilt them. Locos are numbered and named as follows :
- DR8401 Jean ex 9426 Robe River CE-636R 3499-02 / WA-143-1, new Alco 251+ engine;
- DR8402 Margaret ex 3007, Hamersley Iron C-636R G-6011-2 to WA-135-C, rebuilt Alco 251F engine;
- DR8403 Rachel ex 9427 Robe River CE-636R 3499-03 to WA-143-2, Alco 251+ bottom and F series tops; and
- DR8404 Vera ex 3013 Hamersley Iron C-636R G-6040-1 / WA-135-C.
Attached to the side of the radiator are decals pointing out the following:
Owned by Coote Industrial, Rebuilt by
GTSA Engineering, Leased to
ARMS (Australian Rain Mining Services),
a subsidiary of South Spur Rail Services.
Rail and ballast wagons are the same ones used to build the Darwin line. Ballast cars are coded AHBY and these orange ex North Australia cars are complemented by yellow CFCLA CHQY type cars.
Following a field trip to see the track-laying progress in early December the consist of the train was, click here for pop-up.
Track laying was also carried out by hand from Cloud Break heading north towards Hunter Siding. A locomotive TL 154 was trucked over from Melbourne, Victoria, for use on a
small ballast train of approx. six cars. This train operated out from Cloud Break as required. The locomotive has since been transported back to Melbourne by road.
Heading south from the marshalling yard, the first siding at the 43.5 km is Barker, and this is the second ballast loading site.
It is single ended and 250 metres long, the switch points north, with the siding located on the eastern side of the mainline.
Ballast is trucked across from the Elezac Quarry, located next to BHP's mainline near at the 51 km.
The consist of the ballast train is, click here for pop-up.
The first passing loop or siding is called Chapman and runs from about the 68.5 km to the 71.8 km. It's located on the east
side of the mainline. Prior to operations commencing there was a rake of ore cars sitting in it 2200 metres long. This siding is visible from BHP's Tabba Siding.
On Thursday the 1st of November 2007, the good ship BBC Kusan commenced unloading the first of FMG's Dash 9 locomotives. The first loco left the port at 0955 hrs, followed by the second at 1150 hrs.
Third unit left the port at 1530 hrs. A problem with the tarp allowed a photo of the unit at the Redbank Bridge, after it was removed. Unloading of the locos continued until Sunday the 4th November 2007.
The second batch of wagons was being unloaded over the 6-11th November 2007.
The forth batch is being unloaded off the ship AMAZONEBORG in early January. Some wagon numbers are: 1582 : 2582, 1603 : 2604.
Another load of ore cars has arrived on the 3rd of February, off the ship African Grace.
And with the next shipment due very soon, that will be the completion of the original 816 ore car order.
We've also heard of another 160 ore cars have been ordered. This will bring the total cars close to 1000.
The cars are manufactured in China by CSR, in their
Zhuzhou Rolling Stock Works,
and are normally shipped from the Chinese port of Zhangjiaga.
Also a total of twelve fuel tank wagons are due later in the year.
Due to the un-reliability of some of the rebuilt Alco units, FMG locomotives were used on a regular basis hauling the ballast trains. While the Alco locos DR8401 and DR8402 work the 'materials'
or rail and sleeper train.
On Tuesday the 5th of February 2008, FMG loco 004 departed Barker Siding with a loaded ballast train (013 on the rear) at 1210 hrs heading to the 104 km to drop ballast on Proceed Authority no. 0685.
This was the first such working of FMG locomotives and crews on the construction of the line.
Upon arrival at the 104 km, 1330 hrs, another PA was issued, no. 0686 to allow 004 to drop the ballast as required up to the 112 km.
Once ballasting was completed, PA 0687 was issued to loco 013 at 1508 hrs for the return to Barker Siding to stow.
Section times were: Depart 104 km, 1508 hrs, Chapman Siding 1555 hrs, Indee Rd Xing (48.3 km) 1615 hrs, and arrival and stowed at Barker Siding at 1627 hrs.
On the following day 004 and 013 again worked the ballast train.
On Friday the 8th of February, 2008 FMG locos 006 and 007 did two ballast runs for the day.
On Saturday the 9th of February, 2008 FMG loco 006 worked the materials train to Durack Siding, once cut off and in the siding, DR8402 pushed the train to the construction zone,
while 006 worked back light engine to Barker on PA 0797 arriving at 0846 hrs. Which then worked a ballast train south with 007.
By the 2nd of March, 2008, track laying was at the 142.300 km area. Ballast was only a few hundred metres behind. Locomotives were 002 and 011 on the ballast rake. 8401 and 8403 on the
material train. Track work was also close to the North West Coastal Hwy crossing and was being laid by hand.
For more information click here for the FMG website.
Click on image for pop up.|